Mission Statement
  & Core Values

District Information
Staff Directory
General Contacts
Governing Board
News & Press Releases
Office Hours
Valley Air Newsletter
Ag Permits/Conservation
 Management Practices(CMP)

Ag Burning
Dairy Permitting
Smoke Management System
Weed Abatement Burning
File a Complaint
Smoking Vehicles
Wood Burning Status
Air Alerts
Air Quality Info
Daily Forecast
Exceptional Events
Real-Time Air Advisory
 Network (RAAN)

Web-based Archived Air Quality (WAAQ) System
Make a Payment
Small Business Assistance
Requests for Proposals (RFPs)
Abrasive Blasting
Certified Equipment
Compliance Assistance

Dust Control
Fireplaces, Stoves,
 and Heaters

Gasoline Dispensing (GDF)
Hazard Reduction Burning
Notice of Violation (NOV)
Policies/Guidance Documents
Prescribed Burning
Record Keeping Forms
Solvent Degreasing
Source Testing
State Portable Equipment
Title V Operating Permits
Training Schedule
Weed Abatement Burning
Calendar Contest
Activity Kit
Healthy Air Living Schools
Real-Time Air Advisory
 Network (RAAN)

Budget & Financial
Email Lists
Information & Documents
Request A Speaker
Public Records Requests
California Environmental
 Quality Act (CEQA)

Climate Change Action Plan
Demolition Permit Release
Guidelines for General Plans
Indirect Source Review
Emissions/Air Quality Models
Air Quality Mitigation
Air Quality Modeling
Air Toxics
Emission Factor
Emissions Inventory
Make Payments
Application Forms
Air Toxics
Ag Permits/Conservation
 Management Practices(CMP)

Best Available Control
 Technology (BACT)

Best Performance
 Standard (BPS)

Dairy Permitting
Emission Reduction

General Permitting Info
Oil and Gas Registration
Permit-Exempt Equipment
 Registration (PEER)

Portable Equipment
Public Notification
Small Business Assistance
Title V Operating Permits
Citizens Advisory Committee
Environmental Justice
  Advisory Group

Governing Board
Hearing Board
Special City Selection

Study Agency
Workshops & Hearings
Email Lists
Healthy Air Living
Public Notices
Public Records Release  Request
Receive Permit Notice
Workshops & Hearings
Current Rules
Recent Actions
Rules Main
Rules Under Development
File a Complaint
Healthy Air Living
Upcoming Events
Wood Burning

Requirements for State PERP

The State Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP) is a statewide program created by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to register portable equipment as an alternative to securing permits or portable registrations from local air pollution control districts. PERP registered equipment, when used according to the conditions on the registration, may operate throughout the state without obtaining permits to operate or portable registrations from any of California's 35 air quality management or air pollution control districts.

Generally, portable engines over 50 horsepower (hp) and portable equipment units that emit particulate matter cannot be operated within the jurisdiction of the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District (SJVAPCD) without a SJVAPCD Permit to Operate, SJVAPCD Portable Registration, or State Portable Registration. In some cases, portable equipment may be ineligible for State PERP, leaving the SJVAPCD permit or registration as the only option.

Back to Top

Who to Contact

Whether registered with State PERP or permitted/registered by the SJVAPCD, the responsibility for inspection of portable equipment and enforcement of applicable clean air requirements resides with the SJVAPCD. For more information on SJVAPCD Permits to Operate or Portable Registrations, contact the SJVAPCD Small Business Assistance numbers:

San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Merced Counties:

(209) 557-6446

Fresno, Madera, and Kings Counties:(559) 230-5888
Tulare, and the valley air basin portion of Kern Counties:(661) 392-5665

For more information about State PERP, contact CARB at (916) 324-5869 or visit the CARB Website.

Back to Top

Scheduling a State PERP Inspection

In accordance with State PERP requirements, SJVAPCD is required to inspect all PERP engines and equipment units, for which SJVAPCD has been designated as the “Home District”, within one year of the issuance or renewal of the registration.

Owners and operators of registered engines or equipment units for which the SJVAPCD has been designated as the Home District are required to contact the SJVAPCD within 45 days of the initial issuance and subsequent renewals of a registration to arrange an inspection. Please note that you may use your registered equipment before this inspection occurs.

To request an inspection, use the SJVAPCD PERP Inspection Request Form and submit the completed form via email to caperp@valleyair.org - or - print it out and mail or fax it to your nearest District Compliance Department office.

Back to Top